All right, so I didn’t “win” NaNoWriMo. I only wrote about 18,000 words during this month (plus whatever I manage to write tonight, if anything). But if you add in the 8,000 words I already had for this manuscript, I have about 26,000 words done! I think that’s pretty good for a part-time writer, full-time mom.
And even though I didn’t get around to the full 50k, I got a lot done. Writing a novel takes a lot more effort than just writing words on a page. Here are a few examples of what else accomplished this month:
- I researched backstories,
- sketched several new characters,
- did some plotting,
- was crippled by writer’s block,
- got over writer’s block,
- filled in more of my outline,
- realized what the story is *really* about,
- recognized some key areas that will need further development,
- and even did a little bit of revising.
So even though I didn’t pound out 50,000 words this month, I feel like I got a lot of work done for one short month and I’m excited to keep going!