I try to update my Boston Area children’s author events calendar every week. This sounds easy, but actually it’s time consuming and often a little bit tricky.
Just some of the difficulties:
- It’s often hard to tell which books are YA books and which ones are for adults without clicking through a bunch of links and occasionally looking at Amazon. (And even then I sometimes can’t tell and have to look for the author’s website!)
- It’s hard to decide whether an event/bookstore is too far to include (I try to stay as close to the 93/95 loop as possible).
- Bookstores often have several websites (a main website, a facebook page, a twitter feed) and occasionally these have conflicting information on them.
- Sometimes bookstores list storytimes/book groups that look like author signing events but aren’t. I thought very briefly about listing these events too, but there are just too many for me to keep up.
Here is the master list of websites that I pore through every week. I thought someone else might find it useful. Please let me know of more websites I should bookmark.
Barnes & Noble – Store and Event Locator
Blue Bunny Books and Toys Special Events
Blue Bunny Books & Toys Facebook Page
Book Ends Winchester website
Book Ends Winchester Facebook Page
Buttonwood Books & Toys
The Concord Bookshop
The Children’s Book Shop (Brookline) Facebook page
The Curious George Store
The Elephant’s Trunk
The Elephant’s Trunk Facebook page
Harvard Book Store
The Harvard Coop Bookstore
New England Moblie Book Fair
Pandemonium Books & Games
Porter Square Books
Trident Booksellers & Cafe
Libraries* (alpha by town):
The Robbins Library (Arlington)
Belmont Public Library
Boston Public Library
The Public Library of Brookline Home Page
Cambridge Public Library (and Teen Room Facebook Page)
Hingham Public Library
Cary Memorial Library (Lexington)
Somerville Public Library
Wellesley Free Library
Boston.com Parent Buzz Blog
Boston.com Literary Arts Events
The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art (There are lots of events here, but the museum is not in the Boston area)
The Foundation for Children’s Books
Lesley University events
New England Aquarium lecture series
New England Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
* As you can see, I don’t have an exhaustive list of library websites, so do contact me if you hear of a library that regularly hosts children’s author events. I don’t want to scour websites that don’t host children’s authors.
[last updated 12/15/14]